Saturday, July 5, 2008

Saturday at Sun Safari

Whatup. This is me getting techie and trying to make a blog. I have a few free hours, so I thought I'd upload some photos. I am typing from the rooftop deck of an upscale hotel called Sun Safari in Bujumbura, Burundi (one of the few places around with wireless. I just ordered some fish, which came from the nearby lake, and lets just say it was completely intact when it arrived on my plate. Eyes, skin, bones, tail, head, yup.

I'll try to update this from time to time, feel free to check it out and hit me back.

So I've been in Burundi for about 2 weeks now. Most of the time has been spent in a pretty rural location, a town called Kigutu, which is Deo's hometown (for anyone not familiar w/Deo, he's a classmate of mine from DMS who is currently taking working full time to get a community-based health center/hospital off the ground in his hometown of Kigutu, Burundi. Such a project faces numerous challenges. Currently, some of the biggies are a major gas shortage in Burundi and a broken generator and thus no power on site. There are numerous tricky nuances of navigating the appropriate channels to establishing such a clinic in rural Africa, particularly in order to do so in collaboration with the existing system. It is imperative to set everything up with appropriate governmental approval so that the clinic will be supported down the road.

So these pics are a few from the trip thusfar. The kid you see in the photo came in late at night after being pushed into a cooking fire accidentally, and we debrided his hand by headlamp with Ketamine conscious sedation.
The close-up of the burn is actually about a week later, with some nice granulation tissue forming, but also some areas of 3rd degree burns which may require grafting. Not sure what channels exist for that here, but we're exploring with the help of some friends at Partners in Health in Rwanda. The two guys in scrubs w/me are Dziwe and Melino, the two docs at the clinic. Dziwe is U.S. trained in Emergency Medicine, and Melino is Burundian trained as a GP. They don't do a residency here as far as I can tell, and begin practicing right after they graduate.



















The pics to the left are of the clinic from the outside. It is a gorgeous setting up in the hills at about 1700 meters, overlooking the giant lake Tanganyika. Congo is across the lake. At night, fishermen with lanterns dot the lake and it actually looks like a city. The flag you see is the Burundian flag.


All of the stonework and landscaping has been done by the local villagers..



I'm running out of time, so I'm gonna sign off. If anybody has questions or wants to see pics of anything else, lemme know. Hope all are well.


Amahoro (peace)-


-Scott

7 comments:

YoungRick said...

Hey brother - nice work setting this up. Thought I'd throw a post up despite not having much to add, if only to encourage you to continue it (11 views ain't bad). Per your request for a Sox update, its not pretty - Paps lost to the Yanks in 10 last night. 5 back of the effing Devil Rays... keep up the good work over there and stay safe

sarah said...

sounds like you're having an awesome experience...i can't imagine starting from ground zero; the hospital i was at in cameroon was similarly rural, but had been up and running for about 18 years and we had enough problems! have fun and be careful. you'll be back home before you know it!

Unknown said...

Morgan, great to hear from you, and it's great to see some pics of what you've been up to. No power, that's tough. Hopefully the generator is up and running now. Practicing medicine without the basics is definitely challenging. I'll be interested to hear about what else you've been seeing there.

We all miss you back here. The soccer team just lost again and could have used you in the midfield. I just looked...the Sox are 0.5 games behind the Rays who are on a 6 game losing streak. DT says the garden looks great...we'll have some beans for you when you get back.

We're all looking forward to your safe return.
Be well.

Jotham KIRWA said...

Amahoro Scott! Hope you are doing fine. I saw our note and I was surprised you left for the airport that late! I am glad you made it though. Drop us a line whenever you can. The VSAT system has been delivered at last! Hope we'll be able to talk soon.
Jotham

Jotham KIRWA said...

Amahoro Scott! Hope you are doing fine. i saw our note and i was surprised you left for the airport that late! I am glad you made it though. Drop us a line whenever you can. The VSAT system has been delivered at last! Hope we'll be able to talk soon.

Unknown said...

dude you rock,
keep on with your bad self scott morgan. glad you are out there getting after it, and that all your years of hard work will be, and are, paying off in spades. enjoy every bit of it. it's a big world out there with all kinds of things going on that are different from our experiences at home. be safe with stomach bugs, and have fun! teddy

Evomind said...

Really nice site Morgan, and excellent work you're doing. It's a shame those pictures are so small, they would really be nice full-size..

Anyway.. I'm going to Burundi myself and I'd love to get in touch. I'm a Biologist myself and I have an interest in herbal healing, natural remedies and such.. It would be awesome if we could join forces!